Monday, December 30, 2013

home made chicken stock!

A lot of my recipes, I use bone broth.  I make chicken stock and I also make beef stock from the bones. There are many benefits of consuming bone broth and here are just a few that I have learned.

1)  If you have leaky gut, consuming bone broth helps to heal your gut.

2)  Helps with the appearance of skin and hair, clearing skin and making hair shinny.

3)  Great to consume during colds and flu time!

4)  Many healthy minerals consumed from the bones.

5)  Knowing that you are consuming healthy, natural substance!

Many commercial bone broths have spices and natural flavors which is code for man made chemicals and has nothing to do with natural.  A few bone broths have MSG or rather known as monosodium  glutamate which is a neuro toxin.

Just the other day we did our last and final butcher of the season on our homestead.  We don't like to waste anything, so I take the chicken frames and make good, nutritious bone broth for our family to consume in egg drop soups, chicken noodle soups and for flavoring.  I will share my recipe with you today.   This is a 2 day process as I slow simmer the frames and ingredients for 2 days that creates the deepest, richest best tasting broth!  It sounds like a lot of hard work but is really rather easy.

3 chicken frames in a stock pot and yes I will use the chicken feet as well (but if that is something that isn't your thing...you don't have to use the feet but the feet make very rich broth).
water
salt
pepper
3-4 garlic cloves
2 carrots
2 celery stalks
1 red onion
1tsp of vinegar (vinegar helps to pull out the minerals that are in the bones.

Put chicken frames in stock pot and cover with water.   Add 2 TBS of salt and a dash or two of pepper.  I never measure the pepper add vinegar (optional).   Bring water to a boil and then turn down to a simmer.  Continue throughout the day to check on the water and when water levels begin to lower, add more water.   Keep doing this, every few hours you will need to add water.  At night I will either take the broth off the stove or just put the stove on the lowest setting to keep the broth warm over night and as soon as I wake up, I turn it up to a simmer.   I then add my garlic, carrots, celery, onion to the mix and let simmer all day....the nutrients are pulled out of the veggies, into the broth and help give a nice flavour.   At the end of day two you will have a deep rich golden broth and the aroma will permeate throughout your entire home!  Strain the broth through cheese cloth, and I will usually pick the meat off the bones and use for casserole, burritos later.....  I then transfer to jars, ziploc bags or those bps plastic ball jars that are made for the freezer.  Since it is so concentrated, you will only need to use half that ball jar for soups etx...a little does go a long way.
day 2, the broth is turning into a golden yellow colour!  


The veggies have been added, we are getting close!

No comments:

Post a Comment